Regular oral examinations by a professional team of dentists and hygienists are a vital aspect to optimum dental health. Dental health professionals have the skills to identify early signs of dental disease of the teeth and gums. Dental decay and infections are often not visible to the human eye; that is why dental radiography is an essential tool used to help detect infections and cavities before they become irreversible.
ORAL HYGIENE CARE AND PREVENTION
The foundation for a healthy mouth is prevention. We have a professional and knowledgeable team of dental hygienists available to assess your oral health. It’s never “just a cleaning” at Merivale Dental Centre, rather it is a comprehensive evaluation and removal of unhealthy deposits of plaque and tartar that can harm your teeth, gums and bone. Regular hygiene maintenance visits can prevent many unnecessary concerns from developing, and assures consistent professional monitoring of your dental health.
Merivale Dental Centre offers:
- A screening program to determine the health of your gums and bone levels. We do this by specifically evaluating your periodontal condition by measuring the depth of periodontal pockets around all your teeth.
- A treatment program adapted to your specific periodontal condition.
- A follow-up program for the continual monitoring of gingivitis and periodontal disease.
PERIODONTAL DISEASE AND TREATMENT
Your teeth are only as healthy as the gum and bone that supports them. Gum disease such as gingivitis and periodontitis are the leading cause of tooth loss, and are extremely common in the general population. Periodontal disease, which is infectious and inflammatory, is caused by bacteria in plaque. The plaque irritates the gum tissue, forming periodontal pockets that become a source of infection.
- permanent teeth start to become loose
- presence of pus between teeth and gums when you press on the gum
- tooth or gum infections develop
- a change in teeth alignment
- a change in alignment of your appliances
- constant bad breath
A home-care program will be recommended to stabilize the disease and prevent it from progressing.